79th Meeting of the Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs
The EPPO Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs met on 2021-09-09/10 by teleconference. A face to face meeting could not be held due to the uncertainties of the situation regarding COVID-19. The Panel meeting was held in the same week as the IPPC/FAO Regional Workshop for Europe and Central Asia (2020-09-06/08).
The Panel members discussed the following draft ISPMs which were under country consultation. The EPPO comments once finalized were shared with EPPO countries and the IPPC Secretariat through the Online Commenting System (OCS) and the EPPO countries were invited to endorse the comments:
Draft ISPMs for first consultation:
· 2021 Amendments of ISPM 5 Glossary of Phytosanitary Terms
· Revision of ISPM 4 Requirements for the establishment of pest free areas
· Revision of ISPM 18 Requirements for the use of irradiation as a phytosanitary measure
· Annex to ISPM 20 Guidelines for a phytosanitary import regulatory system: Use of specific import authorizations
· Annex to ISPM 28 Phytosanitary treatments for regulated pests: Irradiation treatment for treatment for Pseudococcus jackbeardsleyi
Draft ISPMs for second Consultation:
· 2019 & 2020 Amendments of ISPM 5 Glossary of Phytosanitary Terms
· Focused revision of ISPM 12 Phytosanitary certificates (‘re-export’)
· ISPM Audit in the Phytosanitary context
· ISPM Commodity-based standards for phytosanitary measures
· Annexes to ISPM 28 Phytosanitary treatments for regulated pests
· Irradiation treatment for Tortricidae on fruits
· Cold treatment for Bactrocera zonata on Citrus sinensis
· Irradiation treatment for Zeugodacus tau
· Irradiation treatment for Sternochetus frigidus
· Vapour heat modified atmosphere treatment for C. pomonella and G. molesta in pome and stone fruit
The draft CPM Recommendation ‘Reduction of the incidence of contaminating pests associated with regulated articles and unregulated goods to protect plant health and facilitate trade’ was also sent for second consultation and was discussed during the meeting.
The Panel members were updated by the representatives for Europe in IPPC groups on the outcomes of recent discussions. This included the latest developments in the discussion on eCommerce, sea containers, ePhyto, the FAO Global Action for Fall armyworm as well as on the finalization and legacy of the International Year of Plant Health in 2020.
The meeting reviewed the EPPO nominations for CPM bodies for the European region and updated the EPPO stewards on the list of topics for ISPMs.
The Panel discussed a draft statement for all EPPO countries with the aim to encourage nominations of appropriate experts for representation in CPM bodies. This will ensure continuity in European representation and that the particularities of the European and Mediterranean region are well reflected in IPPC standards, recommendations, guidance materials and policies.
The next meeting of the EPPO Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs will take place on 2022-01-24/26.