73rd Meeting of the Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs
The EPPO Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs met on 2019-09-04/06 in Chisinau, Republic of Moldova hosted by the National Food Safety Agency (ANSA) to which thanks are due for the warm hospitability and excellent organization of this meeting. The Panel meeting was held in the same week as the IPPC/FAO Regional Workshop for Europe and Central Asia (2019-09-02/05) .
The Panel members discussed the following draft ISPMs which were under country consultation. The EPPO comments once finalized were shared with EPPO countries and the IPPC Secretariat through the Online Commenting System (OCS) and the EPPO countries were invited to endorse the comments:
Draft ISPMs for second consultation
- Requirements for national plant protection organizations if authorizing entities to perform phytosanitary actions
- Revision of ISPM 8: Determination of pest status in an area
- Requirements for the use of modified atmosphere treatments as phytosanitary measures
- Amendments to ISPM 5 Glossary of phytosanitary terms - 2018 amendments
Draft ISPM Annexes for first consultation
- Eight annexes to ISPM 28 Phytosanitary treatments for regulated pests
- An annex to ISPM 27 Diagnostic protocols for regulated pests: on Striga spp.
Other documents under first consultation
- Draft CPM Recommendation: Safe provision of food and other aid to prevent the introduction of plant pests during an emergency situation
- Draft ministerial declaration at CPM-15
The Panel members were updated by the representatives for Europe in IPPC groups on the outcomes of recent discussions. This included the latest developments in the discussion on commodity and pathway Standards, on sea containers in the IPPC Sea Containers Task Force, on Antimicrobial resistance and on ePhyto. The status of the draft Standard on ‘Audit in the phytosanitary context’ and the focused revision of ISPM 12 Phytosanitary certificates in relation to re-export were discussed. The Panel joined the IPPC Regional Workshop for the discussion on the International Year of Plant Health in 2020 and further discussed the concept of ‘emerging pests’. The meeting reviewed the EPPO nominations in CPM bodies for the European region and updated the EPPO stewards in the list of topics for ISPMs.
The next meeting of the EPPO Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs will take place in Paris, at the EPPO Headquarters, on 2020-01-28/30.