70th Meeting of the Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs
Bykovo, Russia, 2018-09-05/07
The EPPO Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs met on 2018-09-05/07 in Bykovo (near Moscow) hosted by All-Russian Plant Quarantine Center (VNIIKR) to which thanks are due for the warm hospitability and excellent organization of this meeting. The Panel meeting was held in the same week as the 2018 IPPC Regional workshop in Central and Eastern Europe and Central Asia (2018-09-03/07)
The Panel members discussed the following draft ISPMs which were under consultation. The EPPO comments once finalized were shared with the IPPC Secretariat through the Online Commenting System (OCS) and the EPPO countries were invited to endorse the comments:
Draft ISPMs for first consultation
- Authorization of entities to perform phytosanitary actions
- Revision of ISPM 8: Determination of pest status in an area
- Requirements for the use of modified atmosphere treatments as phytosanitary measures
- Amendments to ISPM 5 Glossary of phytosanitary terms - 2018 amendments
Draft ISPMs for second consultation
- Requirements for the use of fumigation as a phytosanitary measure
- Amendments to ISPM 5 Glossary of phytosanitary terms – 2017 amendments
The Panel members were updated by the representatives for Europe in IPPC meetings on the outcomes of recent discussions. This included the latest developments in the discussion of the Sea Containers Task Force and on ePhyto. The Panel joined the IPPC Regional Workshop for the discussion on commodity and pathway Standards and further discussed the concept of ‘emerging pests’. The meeting reviewed the EPPO nominations in CPM bodies for the European region and updated the list of topics for ISPMs with nominated EPPO stewards.
The next meeting of the EPPO Panel on Global Phytosanitary Affairs will take place in Paris, at the EPPO Headquarters, on 2019-01-29/31.