45th Meeting of the Working Party on Plant Protection Products
York (GB), 2015-05-27/29
The 45th Meeting of the Working Party on Plant Protection Products took place in York (GB) on 2015-05-27/29 . Many thanks are due to the Chemicals Regulation Directorate of the Health and Safety Executive for organizing the meeting and the warm hospitability. There were 24 participants from 17 EPPO countries and a member of ECPA as an observer. This EPPO Working Party directs and supervises the technical work of the EPPO Panels concerned with the efficacy evaluation and registration of plant protection products. The major points from the meeting are summarized below.
EPPO Standards for approval
The Working Party on Plant Protection Products approved six new EPPO Specific Standards in series PP1 Efficacy Evaluation of Plant Protection Products and three revised Specific Standards. The Working Party also approved two revised EPPO General Standards in the series PP1. These Standards will be submitted to the Executive Committee and Council of EPPO in September 2015 for final approval and subsequent publication:
New Specific Standards
- Fusarium ear rot of maize
- Phthorimaea operculella (potato tuber moth)
- Anarsia lineatella (peach twig borer)
- Grapholita molesta (oriental fruit moth)
- The design and use of molluscicide small plot cage (barriered) field trials
- Weeds in asparagus
Revised Specific Standards
- Botryotinia fuckeliana on strawberries (revision PP 1/16)
- Slugs (revised PP 1/95 and merged with PP 1/96)
- Chemical hybridizing agents in cereals (except maize) (revision PP 1/182)
Revised General Standards
- Resistance risk analysis (revision PP 1/213)
- Guidance on comparative assessment (minor revision PP 1/271)
Zonal efficacy evaluation
Two new examples of zonal efficacy evaluation to accompany EPPO Standard PP 1/278 Principles of zonal data production and evaluation have been approved by the Working Party and will be posted on the EPPO website:
- Clarification of efficacy data requirements for the authorization of a fungicide (protectant applications and curative treatments) for the control of apple scab (Venturia inaequalis, VENTIN) on apple (Malus domestica, MABSD) in the European Central Authorization Zone;
- Clarification of efficacy data requirements for the authorization of a plant growth regulator in winter oilseed rape in the European Central Authorization Zone.
Extrapolation tables for minor uses
The Working Party considered extrapolation tables for minor uses which are being developed to accompany EPPO Standard PP 1/257 Efficacy and crop safety extrapolations for minor uses. The following new and revised extrapolation tables have been approved and will be posted on the EPPO website:
- Revised tables for effectiveness of insecticides: pome fruit, stone fruit, fruiting solanaceous crops, Allium vegetables, flower bulbs and -tubers and bulb- and tuber flower crops, cucurbitaceous crops, leafy vegetables, vegetable brassicas and tree nuts;
- New tables for effectiveness of fungicides: currant & berries, tobacco and hop;
- New tables for effectiveness of insecticides: peas & beans, currant & berries, tobacco and hop.
Programme of activity
The Working Party also discussed future activities and priorities which will be submitted to the EPPO Council in September 2015 for consideration. In addition to proposals for new Standards or revision of existing ones, future activities include development of the EPPO codes to describe uses of plant protection products, a survey on dose expression for seed treatment and one on Leaf Wall Area. The Working Party also explored options for initiatives related to Integrated Pest Management and discussed the need to raise the awareness of the importance of resistance monitoring and sharing information on resistance.
The next Working Party on Plant Protection Products is due to convene in Malmö (Sweden) on 2016-05-24/26.