Meeting of the Panel on General Standards on Efficacy Evaluation
The EPPO Panel on General Standards on Efficacy Evaluation met at the National Institute of Agricultural and Food Research (INIA) in Madrid, on 2014-02-25/26. Special thanks are due to Mr Prados and his colleagues for the warm hospitability and fine organization of this meeting.
Three introductory presentations were made on the activities of INIA (click on the links below to access the presentations):
- The National Institute for Agricultural and Food Research and Technology by Ms Cañellas
- Technical directorate for the assessment of plant varieties and plant protection products by Mr Prados
- Department of Plant Protection by Ms De Cal
The Panel continued its work on the preparation of General Standards on efficacy evaluation. The following Standards were considered by the experts and it was concluded that all of them still need further work:
- Evaluation of the influence of tank mix adjuvants on the efficacy of Plant Protection Products;
- Efficacy considerations and data generation when making changes to the chemical composition of Plant Protection Products;
- General principles for the development and registration of co-formulated mixtures of Plant Protection Products.
The Panel also discussed:
- The interpretation of EPPO Standard PP 1/242 Taint tests. They concluded that, before considering a revision of this Standard, information should be sought on cases of taint on fresh produce.
- EPPO Standard PP 1/271 Guidance on comparative assessment. This Standard was amended to bring it in line with the EU requirements laid out in DG SANCO Guidance Document on Comparative Assessment.
Zonal evaluation in the European Southern authorization zone
Mr Ruiz and Mr Prados made a presentation on the experiences on zonal evaluation in the European Southern authorization zone and highlighted the main problems faced by Spain during a zonal evaluation for the Southern zone.
Examples of zonal efficacy evaluation
A new example of zonal efficacy evaluation has been prepared to assist applicants and evaluators to interpret EPPO Standard PP 1/278 Principles of zonal data production and evaluation:
- Clarification of efficacy data requirements for the authorization of a fungicide for the control of apple scab (Venturia inaequalis, VENTIN) on apple (Malus domestica, MABSD) in the European Central authorization zone.
This document has been developed from a study prepared by Mr Hucorne on the control of fungal diseases in pome fruits across the four EPPO climatic zones. The Panel proposed some amendments to this new example which will be circulated to the members of the Panel on Efficacy Evaluation of Fungicides and Insecticides. This document will be presented to the Working Party on PPP for approval.
Another example was presented at the meeting which was considered ready to be presented to the Working Party on PPP:
- ‘Clarification of efficacy data requirements for the authorization of a plant growth regulator in winter oilseed rape in the European Central authorization zone’.
In order to facilitate the harmonized approach needed for a zonal evaluation and mutual recognition of Plant Protection Products, the Panel confirmed a need for the surveys to clarify the understanding of:
- dose expression of seed treatment;
- orchard structures and dose expression for sprays in 3-dimensional crops.
The Panel worked on the questions which should be addressed to all countries in the EPPO region. Based on the discussion, the EPPO Secretariat will prepare questionnaires to be presented to the Working Party on Plant Protection Products for approval.
The Panel on General Standards on Efficacy Evaluation will next meet in Paris at the EPPO Headquarters on 2016-03-9/11.