4th Meeting of the ad hoc Panel on Harmonization of data
on plant protection products - An ad hoc meeting on EPPO codes
The ad hoc Panel on Harmonization of data on plant protection products met at the EPPO headquarters in Paris on 2014-02-26/27 to discuss the development of new EPPO codes to describe uses of plant protection products. This event was scheduled back to back with the meeting of the Panel on General Standards on Efficacy Evaluation (2014-02-25/26). The Ad hoc Panel on Harmonization of data on plant protection products last met in 2004 and 2005, leading to the publication of EPPO Standard PP 1/248 Harmonized classification and coding of the uses of plant protection products, and this meeting continues the work of this Panel.
To date, in relation to efficacy evaluation, there has been considerable variation between EPPO member countries in the declared uses of products, and this has complicated the exchange and comparison of data, and the ‘mutual recognition’. Therefore, in the light of the current zonal assessment called for in EC Regulation 1107/2009 and expanding work on minor uses and national extrapolation data, a harmonized coding system for the uses of plant protection products and common definitions of crop and pest groups are urgently needed.
During the first day of the meeting the following three introductory presentations were made:
- EPPO CODES: A general overview by Ms Roy (EPPO Secretariat)
- DG SANCO – Usage of EPPO codes by the European Commission DG SANCO representatives, Mr Georgiannakis and Mr Reinert
- EUMUDA: the EUropean Minor Use Database by Mr Wick of the Julius Kühn-Institut (Germany)
The second day provided the opportunity for a more technical discussion around the definition of uses and analysis of the existing national methodologies for crop groups. The following national methodologies were discussed:
- The national catalogue of uses of plant protection products of the French Directorate of Quality and Plant Protection (DGAL/SDQPV)
- The crop hierarchy of the Chemicals Regulation Directorate (CRD, UK)
- The crop and object groups for the authorization of plant protection products of the Federal Office of Consumer Protection and Food Safety of Germany (BVL)
- The national methodology for crop groups in use in the Netherlands
The system of codes for uses of plant protection products provided in the appendices of EPPO Standard PP 1/248 and the associated list of codes were also analysed for possible future revision.
As a conclusion, the Panel drafted a project proposal to be submitted to the Working Party. The scope of this project is to develop a new harmonized coding system of uses of plant protection products to be included in the current EPPO code system. The project will take into account already existing methodologies such as the national crop and pest hierarchies, the residue crop groups and EPPO Standard PP 1/248 Harmonized classification and coding of the uses of plant protection products.