Expert Working group on PRA for Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. allii
A recently characterized bacterium, Xanthomonas axonopodis pv. allii (Roumagnac et al., 2004) causing damage to Allium crops has been reported from several parts of the world as responsible for an emerging disease. The pest was added on the EPPO Alert List in 2005-04 and was selected as a priority for PRA in 2007.
The overall conclusion of the Expert Working Group is that this pest presents a risk for the EPPO region. The endangered part is the Mediterranean part (where the pests presents the highest risk of establishment) and to a lower extent the temperate parts of the EPPO region. Phytosanitary measures have been suggested.
The conclusions of the EWG will be reviewed by different bodies in the EPPO system in 2008-2009.
HF Schwartz, Colorado Univ. (US)
The Expert Working Group was composed of:
- Mr Gent David H. USDA-ARS Forage Seed and Cereal Research Unit, Corvallis (US)
- Mr Krauthausen Hermann-Josef, Agricultural Service Centre, Neustadt/Weinstr. (DE),
- Mr Pruvost Olivier CIRAD UMR PVBMT La Réunion (FR),
- Ms Üstün Nursen Plant Protection Research Institute, Bornova/Izmir (TR).
- EPPO Secretariat: Ms Petter Françoise, Ms Brunel Sarah (CLIMEX study)