Advertisement and Job Description
for a P3 Scientific Officer on Plant Protection Products
EPPO is recruiting a full time Scientific Officer to work on development and implementation of EPPO Standards on the efficacy evaluation of plant protection products (pesticides). The appointment will be initially for a fixed term of three years but with the possibility of extension and a permanent post after five years of satisfactory service. The post will be based in Paris, with a requirement to travel. The starting salary will be P3/1 plus allowances for dependents if applicable.
Introduction to EPPO
EPPO is an intergovernmental organization responsible for cooperation in plant health, founded by a Convention signed in 1951. EPPO now has 52 member countries. Its objectives are to protect plants, to develop international strategies against the introduction and spread of dangerous pests and to promote safe and effective control methods. EPPO produces Standards and publications on plant pests, phytosanitary regulations, and plant protection products. EPPO hosts two activities which have their own governance and funding: the EU Minor Uses Co-ordination Facility and the Euphresco network of phytosanitary research funders.
Introduction to EPPO’s work on plant protection products
The functions set out in the EPPO Convention include advising member governments on the authorization of plant protection products. A large number of EPPO Standards have been developed for the evaluation of efficacy which is one of the key elements for authorization. EPPO’s work in this area is carried out by Panels (groups of experts which usually meet annually) under the supervision of the EPPO Working Party on Plant Protection Products. In addition to the development of Standards, EPPO organizes conferences and workshops on themes related to plant protection.
EPPO has a vacancy for a scientific officer to lead EPPO’s work on plant protection products.
- To lead EPPO’s work on plant protection products
- To collaborate with experts on the drafting of Standards
- To organize country consultation on draft Standards
- To work with stewards to consider country comments and amend drafts accordingly
- To co-ordinate each year four or five Panel meetings and a Working Party meeting
- To plan and deliver, with national experts, workshops related to EPPO’s work on plant protection products
- To chair meetings, when required, and be able to produce or review detailed reports of meetings,
- To cooperate and, as required, supervise the work of other colleagues in the EPPO Secretariat in the area of plant protection product,
- To help link EPPO’s work on plant protection products with activities on horizon scanning for emerging pests, pest risk analysis and phytosanitary regulations
- To attend international conferences or other event in relation to plant protection products.
Essential skills and qualifications
- Graduate in agronomy or related discipline
- At least 5 years’ experience in regulatory issues associated with registration of plant protection products with, at least, some experience on efficacy evaluation,
- Knowledge of Integrated Pest Management and chemical and non-chemical solutions to pest problems
- Ability to communicate effectively with all relevant stakeholders
- Experience of managing projects to deliver positive results
- Open minded and able to work with a wide variety of people from different backgrounds and countries
- Language skills: Excellent in English, speaking and writing skills (which will be tested as part of the selection procedure)
- Citizen of an EPPO member country
Desirable skills and qualifications
- Experience as an efficacy evaluator or applicant in relation to registration of plant protection products
- Knowledge of pest risk analysis and phytosanitary regulations
- Experience of work in an international organization or projects
- Experience of leading a team
- Fluency in other European languages
The post will be based at EPPO’s headquarters in Paris. This position involves regular travel.
Salary and benefits
Terms and conditions are based on those of UNESCO adapted to the needs of EPPO. The salary paid will be based on the first point on the UNESCO P3 salary scale plus allowances for dependents if eligible. Net of tax and deductions this will be at least 62 000 € per annum. EPPO participates in the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund, the French Social Security System and a supplementary health insurance scheme. For staff recruited outside France removal expenses and a settling in grant are payable.
If you are interested, please register to the EPPO specific webpage https://jobs.eppo.int/ and provide a covering letter, a Curriculum Vitae and referee names.
Applications should be submitted by 2019-03-10. All documents should be written in English and provided as separate files.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in Paris which will include a written exercise. Interviews will be organized in mid-April and the selected candidate would be asked to start as soon as possible.
Contact for further information
If you would like an informal discussion on the nature of the post before considering whether to apply, please contact email@example.com to arrange a conversation with Nico Horn, the Director-General.