This section 'About EPPO' is also available in French and Russian
EPPO is an intergovernmental organization responsible for cooperation and harmonization in plant protection within the European and Mediterranean region. Under the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC), EPPO is the regional plant protection organization (RPPO) for Europe.
Founded in 1951, EPPO has grown from 15 original members to today's 50 member countries, including nearly every country in the European and Mediterranean region.
Get more information about EPPO member countries:
Current EPPO member countries are shown in green
EPPO is administered by its Executive Committee (seven Governments elected on a rotational basis, meeting twice a year), under the control of its Council (representatives of all member governments, meeting once a year) headed by a Chairman and a Vice-Chairman, elected as individuals.
The technical work of the Organization is done by the Panels of experts, under the supervision of the Working Parties. Experts are nominated by their National Plant Protection Organizations.
A Secretariat (permanent staff of EPPO working at the headquarters in Paris) is headed by a Director-General (Mr M. Ward) and Assistant Director (Ms F. Petter).
Networks hosted by EPPO: Euphresco and the EU Minor Uses Coordination Facility
|Since 2014, EPPO is hosting Euphresco, a network of organizations (e.g. NPPOs, research institutes) funding and coordinating research in plant health. The coordinator of Euphresco is Mr B. Giovani. More information can be found on the Euphresco website.|
|Since 2015, EPPO is hosting the EU Minor Uses Coordination Facility. Its mission is 'to enable farmers in the EU to produce high quality crops by filling minor uses gaps through efficient collaboration to improve availability of chemical and non-chemical tools within an integrated pest management (IPM) framework’. This Facility is coordinated by Mr J. Meeussen. More information can be found on the EU Minor Uses Coordination Facility website.|
The Convention for the establishment of EPPO was signed on 18 April 1951. It has since been amended several times by Council. The last amendments were agreed in September 1999, and had the principal aim of taking due account of the New Revised Text of the IPPC.
The text in force can be viewed here (html) or downloaded in English, French and Russian (pdf file).